A442 Eastern Primary Bypass Surveys
Project Activity: Pipework and chamber defect survey
Length of Drainage Surveyed: 15km Hours of Works: Weekday daytime working
Summary of Works: Crown Plus were commissioned by Balfour Beatty Living Places (BBLP) to undertake High Pressure Water Jetting, CCTV and GPS surveys of the existing highway drainage as set out on scheme drawings.
The A442 is a high-speed dual carriageway, the highway drainage was approximately 50 years old and had not received a detailed inspection for a great number of years with the records held by the local authority incomplete and inadequate to enable forthcoming major maintenance works to be designed and implemented.
Crown Plus undertook the drainage technical surveys on with no safety incidents, no environmental incidents and no near misses, which was achieved though close collaboration between BBPL, the Traffic Management contractor and Crown Plus.
As a result of our works on the A442 project Crown Plus were recommended to additional Balfour Beatty Living Places procurement managers, directly culminating in a contract award to work on the Herefordshire Highways contract (Aug 2021).
Deliverables: The final deliverables for the scheme were as follows:
- Electronic footage of all drainage surveys
- PDF reports of all surveys together with defect schedules
- Asset Inventory drawings detailing all surface assets (Chambers, Gullies, Kerbs and other surface features)
- Asset condition drawings showing location of defects in each section of drainage
- Design drawings detailing cover levels and all invert levels of incoming/outgoing pipes
- Compliant shapefiles that met the requirements of DMRB CS551.
- Detailed remediation schedules detailing every defect identified as part of the surveys together with a recommendation as to how to repair the defect.
Balfour Beatty Living Places
January 2021 to March 2021
Highways Drainage Surveys